BibleWorks 8 / Look up word meanings
Find words and phrases in the English Bible
First select the Bible version you want to search ( Search » Choose Search Version ); you can only choose one search version at a time. Use View » Choose Display Version(s) to select the multiple versions you wish to display. If you have a grasp of Hebrew and/or Greek, a good strategy is to search the original language version (e.g., WTT and BGT), and to display these along with English versions (e.g., NAS, NIV, NRS).
To search for a word, type a period (.) in the command line and then the word you wish to locate (e.g., .covenant). When a word is entered, a list of verses containing the word will appear above the Command Line in the Results Verse List Box. Right click on a verse to have its text appear in the Results Window.
To search for a phrase, type an apostrophe (') before the phrase (e.g., 'holy spirit). To search for a word with different endings or inflections, type an asterisk (*) at the end of the word as a wildcard symbol (e.g., .heaven* will search for heavens and heavenly). There are many other command shortcuts that are used in BibleWorks to express search logic. For a list of these shortcuts, see the "Command Line Shortcuts" box on the "Getting Started" page of this guide, or select Search » Command Line Examples in BibleWorks.
Use a Bible Dictionary
Select Resources » Bible Dictionaries from the main menu, select the dictionary you wish to use, and type in the word.
To search for an English word in a dictionary while viewing the word and its context in the Results Window, right click on the word in the Results Window, and select Lookup in Default Dictionary . Not all words will appear in the available dictionaries.
See the Hebrew and Greek underlying the English translation
1. Include either the King James Version (KJV) or New American Standard Version (NAS), the WTT (Hebrew OT), and the GNT (Greek NT) in your list of display versions.
2. In the results window, move your cursor over the word in the KJV/NAS that you wish to investigate (do not click) and wait for the pop-up window to appear. This window contains information from Strong's Concordance, including the Hebrew or Greek word and a brief definition.
3. Locate this word in the Hebrew or Greek version that you have included as a display version in your results window (you may also move your cursor over the Hebrew or Greek words to determine their translation). Right click on the appropriate word and Search on Lemma . The lemma is the dictionary-entry form of the word. You may need to select the appropriate lemma from a list. The box on the left side of the screen will display all the verses in which this lemma occurs.
Find the meaning of Hebrew or Greek words in a dictionary
1. Follow the steps for locating a Hebrew or Greek word without knowing Hebrew or Greek (in the box to the right of this one).
2. After locating the Greek or Hebrew word in the proper Greek or Hebrew display version (e.g., BGT), right click on the appropriate word and select Lookup Lemma in Lexicon Browser and choose the Greek or Hebrew lexicon you wish to use.
- Last Updated: Oct 18, 2016 11:45 AM
- URL: http://guides.westernsem.edu/bibleworks
- Print Page